Doctor Edward S. Chow O.D., F.I.O.S., F.O.A.A.
Dr. Chow is a licensed optometrists and renowned expert in orthokeratology and speciality contact lenses. Dr. Chow is the first Canadian optometrist to engage in the practice of orthokeratology with the accelerated and advanced method of performance. He is highly experienced, having performed over 3000 procedures. He is TPA certified and has full privileges in Ontario.
After receiving his Doctor of Optometry from the University of Waterloo, Dr. Chow has had the pleasure of sharing his knowledge by lecturing at conferences and schools around the world. His goal is now to help as many people as possible improve their eyesight.
Summary of Accomplishments and Associations
Doctor of Optometry – University of Waterloo School of Optometry
National Eye Research Foundation (U.S.) since 1997
Orthokeratology Academy of America since 2007
1973 – present: Solo family practice. Engaged in specialty contact lens fittings/ RGP and orthokeratology studies and research.
1973-1974: Laboratory instructor in physiological Optics at the School of Optometry, University of Waterloo
Lecturing in specialty contact lens fitting and orthokeratology at the annual educational meetings:
- Little Rock, Arkansas 2006
- University of Houston, Houston 2007
- San Diego 2008
- Pheonix 2009
Lecturing in orthokeratology in Hong Kong, China, Japan and at the School of Optometry, University of Waterloo.
2 papers accepted at the Global Orthokeratology Symposium 2002:
- Orthokeratology & IOP
- Orthokeratology through Nigh Therapy and the Long Term Corneal Cell Changes
Poster accepted at the Global Orthokeratology Symposium 2004:
- Long Term Clinical Results of Overnight Orthokeratology Lens Wear Using Controlled Tear Film Thickness Design Method
Winner of first place for the poster competition at the 2005 Annual Global Orthokeratology Symposium: “Orthokeratology: The Days After Tomorrow”.
Poster accepted at the Specialty Lens Symposium:
- Daytime wear of Aspheric Lenses for Orthokeratology Effect: Managing Refractive Anomalies & Irregular Corneas with Aspheric Lens
- The Role of Orthokeratology Lens Design in Myopia Control (2014)
Lecture presented at the Global Specialty Lens Symposium, 2012: Orthokeratology & Myopia Control: Understanding the Peripheral
Defocus & Hydrodynamic Principle
Recipient of the Orthokeratology Academy of America Achievement Award 2007.
Lectures presented at the Annual Meeting of the Contact Lens Association of Ophthalmologists:
- Controlled Tear Film Thickness Principle with Orthokeratology (2004)
Myopia Control in Clinical Practice (2014)
- Poster presented at the 2004 Annual Meeting of the Contact Lens Association of Ophthalmologists.
Poster presented at the Annual Meeting of the Contact Lens Association of Ophthalmologists (CLAO) 2014: The Role of Orthokeratology Lens Design in Myopia Control.
Poster presented at the annual American Academy of Optometrists Symposium (AAO), 2008:
- Long Term Orthokeratology Effect after Discontinuation based on Axial Length Change
Lecture presented at the annual American Academy of Optometrists Symposium (AAO):
- Anaheim, California, 2008: Aspheric Orthokeratology: Managing Refractive Anomalies with Gas Permeable Lenses with Illustrations.
- San Francisco, California, 2010: Myopia Control: Practical Applications of Retinal Defocus Theory with Reverse Geometry & Aspheric Multifocal Lenses.
- Denver Colorado, 2014: Effective Myopia Control in Clinical Practice…2014.
Scientific papers published:
- A Study of the Central and Peripheral Refractive Power of the Cornea with Orthokeratology Treatment. International Contact Lens Clinic, Vol.21, July 1994; 132-135 (co-author: Dr. George Woo)
- A Study of Central and Peripheral Keratometric findings of Asian and Caucasians. Practical Optometry 1994;5(1):36-37 (co-author: Dr. George Woo)
- Corneal Curvature Findings Recorded by the EyeSys Corneal Analysis System Model 3 (CAS3), Practical Optometry 9:5, 1998; 174-176 (co-author:Dr. George Woo)
- Orthokeratology: The Days after Tomorrow. Clinical & Refractive Optometry 19:5, 2008; 153-156
Canadian Association of Optometrists
Ontario Association of Optometrists
Contact Lens Society of America
Contact Lens Association of Ophthalmologists
Orthokeratology Academy of America (Board of Directors 2007-2010)
Optometric Nutrition Society