Ocular Nutrition

Eye health ocular nutrition optometryYour eyes need essential nutrients. Even the smallest dietary change can make a significant impact in your vision. In fact, published research studies have identified essential nutrients that promote healthy vision, improve visual performance and may reduce the risk of certain eye diseases.

Lutein and zeaxanthin have been shown to reduce risk of age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and cataracts.

Vitamin C may slow progression of cataracts and macular degeneration when combined with other nutrients.

Vitamin E is a strong antioxidant that can protect your eyes from free radicals which break down healthy tissues.

Essential fatty acids support the cardiovascular, reproductive, immune, and nervous systems. Research shows that DHA/EPA can treat dry eye syndrome and associated eye disease such as diabetic retinopathy and AMD.

Zinc is an essential trace mineral or “helper” molecule. It plays a key role in the transport of vitamin A from the liver to the retina where a protective pigment named melanin is produced.

The Age Related Eye Disease Study released in 2001 showed that 25% of patients with AMD had significant deceleration of vision loss. The other 75% of patients had normal vision loss.

The Age Related Eye Disease Study 2 is ongoing and the results will not be released until 2014.